This toolkit is a guiding packet to familiarize yourself with the resources offered by UC Santa Barbara (UCSB). Included are videos on how to navigate GauchoSpace and Gold, important academic support services, further scientific training opportunities, and student well-being resources. You can also find links and descriptions to professional student organizations that provide professional development, career exploration and guidance. Please go through this toolkit and familiarize yourself with the opportunities and support systems that UCSB has to offer.
Our main method of communication will be through the platform of Slack. It is a growing platform throughout professional workplaces and industry so we believe that giving you the opportunity to experience Slack will allow you to prepare for the future. You will be receiving an invite to the Slack space when SIMS starts.
Videos by our own Peer Mentors:
- In this video, Erfan will explain the ins and outs of GauchoSpace, a learning management system used for UCSB course and projects. It is one of the most important websites students will use throughout their time at UCSB.
- In this video, Erfan will explain the ins and outs of Gold, the UCSB class registration, grades and personal information portal. It can be hard starting college not knowing the first steps to take, so we hope you find this video helpful in getting you started on Gold.
- In this video, Adriana will be talking about email etiquette, or in other words, how to write an email. This video contains the differences between casual and formal email writing, formal email structure, what not to do, templates and examples, and more resources.
Other Useful Videos
- In this Letters & Science Academic Advising video you will learn about the importance of academic advising.
- In this CITRAL UCSB video, you learn the signs for when you should or should not change your major.
- In this CITRAL UCSB video, you will learn about small sized classes called “sections.”
- In this Letters & Science Academic Advising video you will learn about the first-generation experience at UCSB.
Organizations on Campus:
SACNAS – Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science
- SACNAS is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields. Everyone is welcome to join.
- Contact: http://www.ucsbsacnas.org/contact-us.html
- They aim to promote and support LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer) individuals and their allies in their pursuit of STEM fields.
- Contact: https://ostem-ucsb.weebly.com/contact.html
- Los Ingenieros is dedicated to impact lives through professional growth and success, academic opportunities, community involvement, and networking for its members and the local community.
- Contact: http://www.ucsblosingenieros.org/contact-us.html
NSBE - National Society of Black Engineers
- Their mission is to increase the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers & Scientist who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.
- Contact: https://sites.google.com/view/nsbeucsb/contact-us?authuser=0
BJC - UCSB Biology Journal Club
- Our club meetings are a place to connect with fellow biology students, collaborate, learn how to read and make sense of research papers, and even hear professors and graduate students talk about their projects and give career advice in an informal setting!
SWE - Society of Women Engineers
- The Society of Women Engineers focuses on informing students and educators about the opportunities open to both men and women in the field of engineering. The society also serves as an information center for women in engineering and encourages them to attain high levels of educational and professional achievement.
- Contact: https://ucsbswe.weebly.com/contact-us.html
Some UCSB Resources:
Will be added during SIMS 2022!