The SIMS Program is open to any science, engineering, or mathematics student who meets all of the following requirements:
- Incoming first year student intending to enroll at UCSB directly from high school in the Fall 2022 quarter.
- Admitted into any science, engineering, or mathematics major.
- A California permanent resident or attended a high school in California for 3 or more years and earned a high school diploma or its equivalent.
There is no cost to participate in SIMS.
All applicants MUST complete all of the following materials online
- Application Form
- Statements of Interest: Responses to the first four prompts are required. The fifth prompt is optional. 500 words maximum each. We strongly advise composing your responses to each question below using a word processing document to avoid any information loss issues.
Discuss your interest in science and the qualities you possess that will make you a good scientist. What have you done, both in and out of the classroom, that demonstrates your motivation and interest in science? Be sure to include participation in academic achievement programs (e.g., MESA, AVID) or student organizations. Give specific, recent examples.
Describe how the SIMS program will help you reach your current educational and career aspirations.
Describe the benefits and challenges you have experienced when working in a team to accomplish a goal.
Give an example of a time you had to deal with a conflict/disagreement within a team environment. What was the disagreement about, how did you resolve it, and what did you learn from it?
Optional: We acknowledge that every student has had unique life experiences that may not be captured in the above questions. The selection committee is interested in learning more about extenuating circumstances you have encountered throughout your journey.
- Unofficial Transcripts: Please submit your unofficial high school transcripts, including any unofficial college transcripts if you took college courses in high school (PDF).